Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Happy Birthday!


Last Sunday, 25 March, was my Birthday.  The big 60th!   That evening, Greg went next door to the Roundy's to get my birthday present.  When he returned, he handed me a gift bag.  When I opened it, there it was, a "mama dress"!  Oh boy!  I think I have commented before about how "attractive" mama dresses are.   He said, "why don't you go put it on?"  It was kinda like the movie a Christmas Story when dad opens up the box that's delivered to him and it's a leg lamp.  Ha Ha!  It was a little on the large side.  Mamas usually wear a bigger size than they normally would, but this was really big!  But, I was a good sport and  went in and modeled it for him.   About two minutes later there was a knock at the door.  It was all the other missionary couples with a birthday cake and ice cream.  Here I stood in my mama dress!!  I didn't change, we all got a kick out of it.  Elder Collette said he'd never seen a missionary name tag on a mama dress, so I put mine on!   It was a really fun surprise!  We all sat around and had cake and icecream for my birthday!  I will not be attaching a picture!  I'll show it to you when we get home.
Elder Collette brought us a box of Liahona magazines (just like the Ensign) only for the pacific islands, to take to our ward and give out.  They were extra from the last conference issue.  As I passed them out, the people were  excited to get one.  I know some of them can't read, but they know who President Monson is.  Some are able to read, they just have a hard time comprehending what they've read.  It's just like us, we can read a little bit of Bislama, but usually only understand a fraction of what we've read. 
On Saturday, 31 March,  after pickleball, we all went half way around the island to Havannah beach for a BBQ.  It was so fun, we all brought the meat we wanted to BBQ, and a dish to share.  We all enjoy getting together for outings.  The islands are the perfect setting and had a great time.  I found some really nice shells too!   
On Easter Sunday the primary kids sang the sweet little song, Gethsemane, in sacrament meeting, and did a pretty good job.  Sister Tucker and I worked hard during sharing time so that they would be able sing it.  We also decided to each have a lesson ready to go in case a teacher doesn't show up.  They don't have separate teachers for each class, there's just one  for older kids and one for the younger.  I ended up teaching the older kids because the teacher didn't show up.  We found out later that the teacher went to Australia to pick fruit.  The kids are so out of control, it's hard to get them settled down.   I had a class of about 15 boys and girls.  When they finally settled down,  I started by asking them what Gethsemane was.  They either didn't want to say, or they didn't know.  I think they didn't know.  So, we talked about its meaning and what happened there.... Then we talked about the crucifixion of Christ, same thing, they weren't sure exactly what it was all about. Then we talked about the resurrection of Christ and what it means to us.  They were surprisingly good, most of them were listening.  I sure hope the spirit was able get through to them.  It's hard to tell sometimes, you don't always know if they understand what you are saying.  I'm beginning to think that we assume they know more than they do.  After all, they are converts and it takes a while before you comprehend and understand.  After primary, the bishop gave us a bag of chocolate easter eggs for the kids.  We started out handing them out to those that were being quite.  It soon erupted into mayhem!  Boy, did they want those Easter eggs!  What a hoot.  I'll attach a little video.  I put my bag of eggs down so that I could video Sister Tucker handing them out!  We got mobbed! 
Monday morning here, is Sunday afternoon at home.  So, Monday morning we were listening to the Sunday afternoon conference session over the internet with you.  It's nice to have the internet to stay connected a little bit.  Next week the stake will be able to watch conference at the stake center and some ward houses.  There are members here that translate conference so that the people can listen to it.   They usually set up a room for those that want to listen in English.  We heard many of the fabulous changes that were made, and how exciting to have 7 new temples announced!   WOW!   We haven't had a chance to hear all of conference, but we look forward to it.  Later on that day we went to  Mele Cascade Falls.  The Roundy's and Collette's have not been there yet, and the Davidson's wanted to go one more time before they go home.  That was one of the first adventures we went on when we got here.  I think I posted pictures of the rushing waterfalls.  The first time we went I couldn't get to the top to see the waterfall, and swim in the pool at the base of it.  The water was running hard because of all the rainfall they had.  Essentially, we were walking up a waterfall because it was spilling over the trail.  There were ropes to hang onto, but it was still dangerous.  This time, there wasn't near the water running down, so you could walk on the trail to get up to the fall instead of walking through the waterfall itself. The hike up was beautiful.  When we got there we jumped into the pool at the base and swam under the waterfall.  You had to get under the fall quick because the water was smacking you on the head pretty hard and you felt like you were going to drown!  I wasn't sure I wanted to do it, but Greg helped me to get under it and it was fun.  The water was so clear and beautiful!  On our way back down, we saw a rock slippery slide that had  water running down it into a pool of water below.  It was probably about 20 feet high.  Everyone was sliding down it multiple times.  Sister Lindeman and I were chickening out, but decided to do it!  It was sooo fun!  There is NO WAY kids in American would be allowed to do what we did.  
Well dear family and friends, I'll close for now.  We love you all so much and miss you even more.  
Enjoy the beautiful weather!  LUCKY DUCKS!  Love you, Greg and Ann




1 comment:

  1. Bless you for continuing to teach those children. So funny and yet so hard. We love the song, "Gethsemane" and have had our primary and our students sing it in services. Hang in there! Life will be so boring when you return home :)

    ReplyDelete

It’s hard to believe

We left our home away from home on Wednesday, 4 Oct, without a hitch.  It was smooth sailing all the way home.  We landed in Fiji, then on ...